Southwestern began as a mission of Central Baptist Church, Johnson City, in January 1966. The group met in the Baptist Student Center on the campus of East Tennessee State University for two years while they purchased land and built the present facility. The first services were held in the building at 1112 Cherokee Road in February of 1968. In 1991 the church added a new educational unit which provides classes for preschool, children, adults, and a fellowship hall. The church currently has over 350 resident members.
Southwestern is made up of people of all ages who desire to study God’s word, worship the Lord, fellowship together, and grow in Christian maturity. We have developed our ministries around the needs of our members; and we are striving to be creative in our approaches to worship, fellowship, and training.
God has richly blessed the growth and ministry of our church, which is affiliated with the Holston Baptist Association, Tennessee Baptist Convention, and the Southern Baptist Convention. The members are actively involved in ministries and missions at home and in other states. The church has a part in regularly supporting over 7,000 missionaries and varied ministries through the Cooperative Program. We encourage you to browse through our website and look at the varied ministry, worship, and mission opportunities that are available to our members and the community around us.
Associate Pastor of Worship and Music
Children's Ministry Director
Weekday Preschool Director
Associate pastor of College and Youth
Stream on demand.
Can’t make it to our Sunday Service? Click the button below to watch past sermons, view our live stream, and stay up to date with Southwestern Baptist Church.